NeoRPZ Neo RPZ
The New Role Playing Zone
August 30, 2014, 03:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Home' now redirects to the Portal, and 'Forum' redirects to.. well, the forum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MINECRAFT: The Excavation  (Read 1006 times)
Speedy
Now, also in 'Suppeedi' flavor!
Administrator
Members

2011.. Yeah I got nothing.

« on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »

MINECRAFT
The Excavation

The More Info as promised~

What is this drivel?!
A small contest I am setting up, across three forums. To be precise, NeoRPZ, The Palace of Role Play and Vagrant Epochers.

Explain.
Very well.. Basically, you have a hole. It's 64x64 wide, which is, aside from the bottom Bedrock layer, completely empty. As if an entire chunk of land just mysteriously vanished. So what do you do? YOU BUILD IN IT!

And this gets judged, how?
Solely by me. I will be completely neutral and I wont select someone just 'because it's my friend who made it'. I want to see some nice things, hence why I'm setting this up.

Wait, this still explains nothing, does it?
Well, I guess this is still a bit vague. I'm still setting things up after all, and the world data isn't entirely ready either..

Then why should I bother listening to this, or let alone that, actually PARTICIPATE?
Because there are some.. minor prizes to win. Since I just finished up the Fiction Contest, my budget cannot entirely stretch as much anymore. If anything, I promise that whoever wins gets $25- be this through PayPal OR through buying a game on Steam. No other options this time, I'm afraid. There'll also be a consolation prize for those ending up #2 and #3, and I'll hold a minor vote for a 4th prize- whoever the public thinks is best. I do so hope that that wont up being a popularity contest.

But seriously, I want more details.
Well, I'm afraid I'm still keeping a few things under wraps. If anything, there should already be a nice view of the ACTUAL HOLE to be used in both the first logo and the one proudly atop this post.

What do you expect US to do?
Ah, that's a question I can answer. I would like to know what sorts of building equipment you'll need. I'll be providing about a dozen or so big chests, and I do need to know what to fill them up with. So far, I have one completely filled with stone, but I suspect you might need more. Perhaps a few tools, stairs, decoration.. You will be provided plenty, and need not to dig yourself. It's a creation contest, not a survival one.

This topic will be used from now for people to state that they wish to participate and to tell me what sorts of stuff you would like to see in this chest repository.

Is this on a server?
No. I thought it was obvious from the text.. You'll be provided with world data, and it'll be completely local. Everyone gets the same hole.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:47:53 AM by Speedy » Logged

Spoiler for Billy vs Snakeman:
<br />
<br />\"Machines aren’t capable of evil… Humans make them that way.\"<br />\"If I die one day, I want to be remembered as more than just a statistic.\"
Speedy
Administrator
Members

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »

Second post reserved for more details later.

<br />
<br />\"Machines aren’t capable of evil… Humans make them that way.\"<br />\"If I die one day, I want to be remembered as more than just a statistic.\"
Speedy
Administrator
Members

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

Because I figured you guys may want an update as well.

Spoiler for Thusfar, what I'll be filling chests with.:
Stone (x2)
Cobblestone (x2)
Dirt (x2)
Sand (x2)
Wool (x1)
Glass (x1)
Redstone Dust (x1)
Obsidian (x1)
Lightstone (x1)
Soulsand (x1)
Netherrack (x1)
Sandstone (x1)
Logs (x1)
Dark Logs (x1)
Birch Logs (x1)
Leaf Blocks (x1) (I sure hope these dont auto-decay..)
Planks (x1)
Dyes (filling x1)
Cake (x1)
Gold Block (x0.5)
Diamond Block (x0.5)
Iron Block (x0.5)
Lapis Lazuli Block (x0.5)
Torches (x0.5)
Ladders (x0.5)
Assorted Flowers/Mushrooms (filling x0.5)
Mossy Cobblestone (x0.5)
Ice (x0.5)
Water (x0.5)
Lava (x0.5)
Grass (x0.5)
Bookshelves (x0.5)
Sugar Canes (x0.5)
Snow Blocks (x0.5)
Diamond Pickaxe (x0.5)
Diamond Shovel (x0.5)
Diamond Armor (x0.5)
Diamond Helmet (x0.5)
Diamond Pants (x0.5)
Diamond Shoes (x0.5)
Pumpkins (x0.25)
Diamond Axe (x0.25)
Diamond Hoe (x0.25)
One chest is a dual-sized chest, so x1 means all 9x6 slots, and x0.5 means one full normal sized chest, 9x3 slots. And every square will have 64 of each item, even if this ends up a glitch. (i.e. with armor and tools)

Even now, I am pretty sure I may end up quadrupling this amount. Maybe more. I did my calculations, and the entire chunk is 524.288 blocks of air right now. A Single dual-sized chest can hold 1.728 blocks. That is not even close to 1/500th of the entire chunk.

No, this isn't any new info, to be honest. I'll put the full contents on the second post later when I GET to specifics. Most likely.. I'm going to wait until at least AFTER the 1.6 update, so I can anticipate the new items.

<br />
Speedy
Administrator
Members

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

From the Vagrant Epochers side of the contest:

Heh, I was wondering when I'd get more questions. Alas, I am quite busy lately (insert inaudible grumbling and complaining here) and havent had the time to prepare all the chests. The 1.6 update coming in and being exceedingly broken didnt help either.
Quote from: Naku12
Hey speedy mind giving us the data for the world so that we can begin. Not trying to be rude.
Yes, I do mind. This is first off because the world data isn't yet done being edited.
And secondly, I'm waiting for a friend of mine to confirm Minecraft stopped being broken, though that should have no effect on me editing the world.
Quote from: keelzbunny
A: Are we allowed to have multiple entries? Like if I wanted to build a Master Sword recreation and a giant golden creeper, would both entries be accepted, or would I only be allowed to have one entered? Or would both be accepted for judging?
Afraid not. Since there is a prize attached to it, it would be more fair to only have one entry per person.
You're always welcome to build more and make your 'best' the entry.
I honestly doubt anyone is going that long mile, though; the whole prize being awkwardly low and all. Wink
Quote from: keelzbunny
B: What if on our texture pack we're using, something looks epic, but on the regular texture pack or a different one, it looks not as awesome? Since I use PainterlyPack, and it looks WAY different from most texture packs.
Fraid that may not have much effect on your judging. I'm going to ask for the world data, so I can personally walk around and see everything upfront and personal, so using one has absolutely no effect, as I'll be completely judging it in default minecraft.
Quote from: thisoneguy
Hey, uh, I heard there may be some kind of bonus 'points' based on small extra objectives, like the entrance to the building being on ground floor and adapting the surrounding world to make the building nicer, like using the water right next to it for some kind of water way?
I have no idea where you picked that up, but.. yeah, that's true. I judge on originality and eye candy. Things that look nicer will score exceedingly better than blunt and crude things. Stairs instead of having to jump alot? Bonus points. Though to call them bonus might be a bit much, since they're basically objectives that's for everyone.

<br />
Speedy
Administrator
Members

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »

Due to rumors of 1.8 having extreme changes to the map system, and the possibility of it being a world breaker (unlike the last time, when you could convert them), I've decided to wait things out until the release of 1.8.

I'm not amused by this either, but if the world DOES break, I want to be sure I didn't just make people waste days on a world they can no longer show.

<br />
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: